Belize Wedding Legal Requirements
Marriage ceremonies in Belize are internationally valid. We welcome the opportunity to plan your special day and give you a unique wedding ceremony that you'll never forget.
Requirements for obtaining a marriage license in Belize:
- One of the parties must be in Belize 3 days prior to getting married and filling the license.
- Photocopy of passport showing picture and date of arrival in Belize.
- Applications for Special Licenses must be signed by both applicants, verified by affidavit and accompanied by the applicant’s personal identity documents (i.e certified copies of applicants’ birth certificate, passport, etc.).
- Application can be submitted from applicants’ place of residence through a wedding planner in Belize at anytime in anticipation of their arrival in Belize.
- Forms can be obtained at two locations.
- General Registry, Supreme Court Building, Belize City.
- Solicitor General’s office, East Block Building, Belmopan.
- Completed forms along with the items in the following list must be presented to General Registry or Solicitor General.
- Identification documents – all documents required must be original documents but certified copies of the original documents are acceptable.
- Citizenship – no residency requirement.
- Blood test – no blood test or parental consent is needed if over the age of 18.
- Marital status – original or certified copy of divorce or death certificates must be presented if divorced or widowed.
- Witnesses – two witnesses (can include staff but they must be at least 18 years old)
- Marriage license fee (US $250)
- Proof that both parties are above 18 years of age.
- Applications for special license can be obtained through the Registrar General in Belize City or the Office of the Solicitor General in Belmopan.
- A fee of two hundred and fifty dollars (US$250.00) must accompany the application.
- The ceremony may be performed by a senior Justice of the Peace at any place within Belize between the hours of 5:00 am and 9:00 pm inclusive of Saturdays, Sundays and public and bank holidays.
For additional information on Belize wedding requirements contact us with any questions you have.